Police Federation

Police family 'devastated' by fatal shooting of officer

National Chair calls loss of Met officer 'devastating and heart-breaking'

25 September 2020


The news that a Metropolitan police officer was shot and killed on duty in South London this morning is 'devastating and heart-breaking', the Police Federation of England and Wales has said.

In the early hours of this morning (25 September), the officer was shot by a man who was being detained at Croydon Custody Centre in Windmill Lane. Despite the efforts of officers and paramedics at the scene, he very sadly died in hospital.

A murder investigation has now been launched.

John Apter, National Chair of the Police Federation of England and Wales said: “This is utterly devastating and heart-breaking news that a colleague from the Metropolitan Police has been shot and killed. Our thoughts are with the officer's family, friends and colleagues at this most terrible time. 

“Policing is a family and when we lose one of our own in such a devastating way it affects us all. The dangers police officers face every day are very real and sadly, as we have seen can result in officers making the ultimate sacrifice. 

“There will now be an investigation and therefore it would be wrong to say any more at this time or to speculate, other than to say that our hearts are with the family of our officer who has been killed and all involved in this horrific incident.”

Ken Marsh, Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said: “The murder of a colleague on duty is utterly devastating news. Officers across London are in shock and sick to their stomachs at the nature of his death. All our thoughts - and that of all our members - are with his family, friends and close colleagues at this time. We and all members of the Police Family across the country are all utterly heartbroken at this news.

“Officers put themselves in danger every day to protect the public. Sadly, on very rare occasions officers make the ultimate sacrifice whilst fulfilling their role. When that happens we will ensure their bravery and sacrifice is never forgotten. Colleagues involved in the incident will have our full support for as long as is needed.”

A 23-year-old man was detained by officers at the scene. He was also taken to hospital with a gunshot wound and remains in a critical condition.

No police firearms were discharged during the incident.

We use cookies on this website, you can read about them here To use the website as intended please... ACCEPT COOKIES