EXTRA security is to be provided to police officers recognised in the Queen's New Year's Honours list after their addresses were inadvertently posted online by the Cabinet Office – with some of those heavily involved in the Salisbury Novichok investigation.
As reported in the Telegraph, federation chiefs and police forces said that security would be provided for the former and current officers who were on the list after more than 1,000 people including counter terror police, senior diplomats, military officials, politicians and celebrities had their personal details released.
Those on the list include the names of senior officers who had been involved in the investigation into the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury, leading to fears that they could face retaliation from the Russian state, the national paper has claimed.
A call for an urgent inquiry has now been made as the Cabinet Office is criticised for its "farcical and inexcusable mistake" which allowed the addresses of the vast majority of the 1,097 recipients to be viewed online from 11pm on Friday, shortly after news of their honours went public.
The details were removed around an hour after the accidental disclosure.
The list saw awards given to members of England's World Cup winning cricket team, performers such as Sir Elton John and Grease star Olivia Newton-John, as well as former Conservative Party leader Iain Duncan Smith.
The Cabinet Office apologised, said it was contacting those affected, and had referred itself to the regulator.
A Cabinet Office spokesman said: "A version of the New Year Honours 2020 list was published in error which contained recipients' addresses.
"The information was removed as soon as possible.
"We apologise to all those affected and are looking into how this happened.
"We have reported the matter to the ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) and are contacting all those affected directly."
The ICO, which has the power to fine organisations for data breaches, said it was investigating.
National Chair's response to the Cabinet Office leak
The accidental release by the Government of personal data belonging to New Year’s honour recipients is deeply concerning.
Those who have received awards will unsurprisingly be angered and concerned about this significant breach of their personal data. I am in contact with the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) to ensure that whatever measures need to be taken to safeguard the security of any police officer, or member of their staff involved, are in place.
I fully expect this security breach to be investigated by the Information Commissioners Office so that that we can understand how this could have happened. It’s such a shame that this breach of data has overshadowed what is such a special occasion.