Cumbria Police Federation

Tax Relief

As a Police Officer or staff member are you claiming the tax relief / rebates you are entitled to?


There are several ways Police Officers and police staff are able to claim tax relief on aspects of their job.  Please see the categories below.

All claims can be made via the link to the Government website below and may be back dated for up to 4 tax years.


Tax relief on employment expenses (p87) Government link



Work related expenses you are able to claim tax relief on are as follows



  • Members of the police force from the rank of Police Officer up to the rank of Chief Inspector are entitled to claim a flat rate amount set by HMRC, currently at £140.00 per tax year, to reimburse you for the costs of laundering and maintaining your standard uniform.
  • PCSO's may also be eligible for the same claim.  
  • Other police employees who wear a uniform with a logo and do not have access to laundry facilities or launder their uniform at home are eligible to claim £60.00 per tax year.  Unfortunately Special Constables are exempt from this claim.


Police Federation Subscriptions / Charitable Donations

  • Any subscriptions, fees or charitable donations made directly via salary are eligible for tax relief.  The HMRC agreement with the Police Federation is that tax relief is available on 100% of any costs (Met Police exempt) providing you are not reimbursed in any way by your employer.
  • You cannot claim for fees or subscriptions that are not on the HMRC approved list wether paid for by you or your employer.


Use of Own Vehicle and Associated Costs

Eligibility Criteria

  • If you travel outside of your standard commute for work purposes you could be eligible to claim up to 45p per mile.
  • If your employer relocates you to a different workplace for a maximum of 24 months.
  • If your employer does not pay you the full mileage rate of 45p per mile up to 10,000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter. (Different rates apply for motorbikes)
  • If you are paid a mileage allowance by your employer, and it is taxed.  If you are paid a mileage allowance by your employer and the allowance is not taxed, this mileage is not eligible for tax relief.
  • You may also be entitled to claim for associated costs, such as parking fees, tolls and congestion charges.
  • You must have the paperwork to prove your claim e.g. travel logs, receipts, invoices and payslips to show any partial reimbursement.


Police Dog Handlers

Eligibility Criteria

  • If the specified handler is required to house or kennel the dog at their home and is provided with the equipment to do so.
  • If the specified handler is responsible for grooming, feeding and exercising the dog at their home and is provided with an allowance for doing so.
  • If the specified handler is responsible for the proper control of the dog and how it behaves both on and off duty.
  • If the specified handler lives on premises owned by the police authority or in private accommodation, the location of which has been approved by the police authority.
  • If all of the above criteria are met, the specified dog handler may also be eligible to make a claim for any expenses incurred for travelling with the dog between the handlers home and the nearest suitable place to exercise the dog.


Other forms of tax free savings that may be available to you include...

Marriage Allowance:  If you are a basic rate taxpayer you may be able to transfer a portion of your tax-free personal allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner.  This is especially relevant where your partner or spouse doesn't work or may only work part time.

Council Tax refund:  If you are a home owner you could apply for a Tax Band Review on your property.  In instances where tax bands are reduced you could be eligible for a back dated rebate on the excess paid since moving into your property.

Tax free Savings:  Shop around for the best ISA'S (Individual Savings Accounts).



If you are unsure or have any concerns on your tax matters it's always best to seek advice from a professional, independent tax advisor.