Police Federation

Police officer stable after frenzied attack

8 August 2019

John Apter, National Chair

John Apter, National Chair

An "amazing" PC who managed to Taser his attacker whilst being stabbed in the head and body is stable.

Reacting to the horrific assault on his Metropolitan Police colleague, John Apter, National Chair of the Police Federation of England and Wales (PFEW) said:

“This morning we awoke to the devastating news that, last night, one of our Metropolitan Police colleagues was attacked with a machete in what has been described as a frenzied and unprovoked attack and he is currently in hospital with multiple injuries.

“From what I have seen and heard about the incident we could well have been waking up to even worse news. It appears it was only the officer’s incredible bravery, his use of Taser and the support of his colleagues that saved his life.

“Policing is dangerous and unpredictable, we know that; but it’s essential that officers across the country have the support, equipment and back-up needed to do their job. But that’s only part of it. Time and time again we hear of pathetic and perverse sentences being handed down to those who think they can use my colleagues as punch bags and get away with it. This has to stop. The judiciary needs to take responsibility and use their full powers to support police officers and other emergency service workers who have been assaulted while doing their job  - and they need to take that responsibility now. Not next week, or next month. Not when they have reviewed sentencing guidelines, but now. Being assaulted must never be just part of a police officer’s job.

“We have long been campaigning for all police officers who want it to have access to Taser. While we have seen some improvement with more officers carrying Tasers,  progress is still too slow. If funding is an issue, then government should ring-fence money so that chief officers can provide the equipment needed to better protect their officers.

“I will be meeting the Home Secretary in the coming days and officer safety will be high on the agenda. I will never shy away from telling those who need to be told that our officers need better equipment, better support and more back up. 

“My thoughts today are with my injured colleague and the others affected by this horrific incident. The injured officer is getting the support needed from the Metropolitan Police and local Federation. He remains in my thoughts and I wish him a full and speedy recovery.”

Uniformed officers suspected the suspect’s van was being driven without insurance when they tried to stop it at the junction between Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road.

When they spoke to the driver he became "quite aggressive" and returned to his van before "a violent struggle".

The injured PC is a patrol officer who has been with the Metropolitan Police for nearly 10 years. 

A man, aged in his 50s, was arrested at the scene in Leyton on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.


We use cookies on this website, you can read about them here To use the website as intended please... ACCEPT COOKIES