90 days from today is Wed, 24 July 2024

GMP Federation

Jail for violent driver who left officers 'in fear of their lives'

7 March 2018

A man who violently resisted arrest for nearly an hour and left officers ‘in fear of their lives’ has been jailed at Bolton Crown Court this week.

At one stage during the incident, Scott Moore, of Ranworth Drive, Lowton, got hold of one of the arresting officer’s Tasers before it was wrestled back from his hands.

Moore was also Tasered six times but got to his feet each time and continued to ‘grunt and growl’ at the officers.
Moore was tracked by officers from GMP’s Tactical Vehicle Intercept Unit travelling in excess of 150 mph in a black Mercedes along the A580 East Lancashire Road in the early hours of 14th October 2016.

Suspicious that the vehicle had been stolen, the officers indicated to Moore to pull over - an instruction he ignored.
Dashcam footage showed the Mercedes overtaking at 100mph in a 30mph zone before accelerating to over 150mph along the A580 and through a housing estate. Moore then crashed the vehicle into a wall of a house causing considerable damage.

The pursuit eventually ended in a dead end, but the incident was far from over for the two officers involved.
Moore elbowed one of them and escaped through nearby gardens before officers caught up with him. Despite being Tasered six times, Moore grabbed the wires from the stun weapon and wrestled with officers for control of it, at one stage telling them ‘you’re going to get it now.’

The pair managed to bring Moore under control and following another struggle detained him.
Amateur rugby player Moore was banned for driving for two years and is starting a sentence of one year and 11 months.

Detective Constable Lynsey Watson-Perry of GMP’s Wigan Borough, said: “In all their careers, the officers at the scene had never been so scared nor witnessed such a violent individual that had so much strength to fight.

“Moore knew exactly what he was doing, using his size and experience on the rugby field to evade officers in a desperate struggle that threatened both the safety of officers and innocent members of the public.

“Whatever level of force he is used to displaying on the pitch, this was not a game – people’s lives were in danger and an officer had to undergo surgery."


April 2024