90 days from today is Wed, 28 August 2024

GMP Federation

GMP officer stabbed while responding to armed robbery in Wigan

8 October 2018

A Greater Manchester Police officer has been stabbed repeatedly as he responded to an armed robbery in Wigan.

Thankfully our colleague is recovering at home with minor injuries following the incident last night.

We wish him well and a swift recovery.

The Federation are supporting the officers involved and assisting with any welfare requirements they need.

Shortly before 10.05pm on Sunday 7 October 2018, police were called to reports of an armed robbery at AM to PM stores on Gidlow Lane.

Within minutes, officers were at the scene but a man fled in the direction of Birch Street.

An officer pursued him and a short struggle ensued, at which point the officer – a man in his 40s – was stabbed repeatedly to the point that the knife snapped.

Thankfully, the officer was wearing body armour and only suffered minor injuries to his arm. He was also assisted by a colleague at the scene.

Stu Berry, Chair of Greater Manchester Police Federation, said: “This incident highlights the dangers that our members face on a daily basis. Their actions and bravery were commendable to detain this individual.

“Fortunately, on this occasion, the arresting officer could call upon the assistance of a colleague at the scene. If this incident had been attended by a single crewed patrol, the outcome could have been very different.

“I have been in preliminary negotiation with the Chief Officer Group regarding the trial and inception of a Double Crewing Policy that will aid the physical and mental wellbeing of the officers who face these challenges day in, day out to serve the public.

"This action is necessary to deal with the increasing threat, harm and risk to our Police Officers.

“I will continue the push for these protections.”

Following the incident, a 35-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of section 18 assault and robbery. He remains in custody for questioning.

Detective Sergeant Chris Broad, of GMP’s Wigan borough, said: “Officers are often faced with danger when they are responding to incidents, standing in harm’s way to protect the public.

“He was taken to hospital for treatment but is now recovering at home and we wish him a speedy recovery.

“We have launched a full investigation into this incident and enquiries are ongoing. I would urge anyone with any information to get in touch as soon as possible.”

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, added: "I am appalled by this abhorrent attack on one of my officers who was simply attempting to exercise his duty and keep the people of Greater Manchester safe.

“Thankfully, his injuries were not as significant or serious as they could have been, which is a credit to his bravery, the assistance of his colleagues and undoubtedly his body armour.

“The actions of both police officers were outstanding and are a testimony to what officers and staff across Greater Manchester do to protect the public."

Anyone with information should call police on 0161 856 7967 quoting reference number 2238 of 07/10/2018, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.


May 2024