Officers risk gas poisoning to save lives
PC Sarah Crawford and PC Lucy Howard responded to a call from a distressed woman who said she couldn’t wake up her husband and their 15-year-old son. Officers could smell gas coming from the family home. A boiler had leaked and set off a small explosion. The officers were advised by control to get out, but they both decided to stay and help. The teenager had stopped breathing, so PC Crawford administered CPR and dragged him to safety. PC Howard continued to provide first aid to the father until paramedics arrived. Both father and son made a full recovery.
Gloucestershire Police Federation Chair Steve James said: “This incident would have proved to be fatal if it wasn’t for the officers’ intervention.”