Welfare Support Programme (WSP)
The WSP offers a 24 hour 365 day a year telephone support line for you and your family where you can speak directly to our trained staff regarding the issues that concern you.
The telephone staff have had training in police discipline procedures and post incident procedures.
They are certificated in mental health first aid and are there to listen to your concerns and help you to get the best support available. With your permission, they can evidence your needs and present them to your force or the Federation so that they can promptly obtain the support we recommend for you, such as NLP coaching, counselling or other therapies that may assist you in dealing with your current situation.
Officers involved in death or serious injury incidents that result in post-incident investigations or those who are suspended from duty can now access to the Federation’s Welfare Support Programme (WSP).
This has been created for officers who find themselves having to cope with often life changing situations through the course of their duties.
It is part of the acknowledgement of mental health issues affecting officers.
What does it include?
Access to a 24/7 support line staffed by trained professionals; and a full-time welfare support officer who will work alongside federation representatives to support officers and their immediate families.
The programme will develop over an initial two-year pilot period to include enhanced support with the provision of neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), coaching and counselling.
Who can access the WSP?
• Subscribing members to the Federation who have been involved in a death or serious injury incident at work that results in post incident investigation
• Officers who are suspended from duty
• Part of a death or serious injury at work that results in a post incident investigation
• Officer has been served with Gross Misconduct papers
• Following a consultation with the PFEW & PFOA it is decided that an officer is in need of being placed on the programme.
In addition the WSP is also available for family members of officers entered onto the programme and includes:-
• Immediate family members
• Any person living in the same household with officer
• Any dependants of an officer
Download more information here
How to get help
Contact must be made initially with your local branch board.
Find your local board here
The Welfare Support Line telephone Number is